This project is related to the Society’s goal of advancing community education by providing community food security education programmes that focus on the natural resources of the local area and that develop community engagement with year-round food production and accessibility to locally-grown food and sustainably-harvested fish products.
A weekly Farmers Market (May to October) will provide:
- connection of consumers with farmers and fishers to facilitate a greater understanding of how food is harvested and fished
- support to local farmers and producers by providing them with central access to the community for their produce
- access to locally-produced and sustainably-produced foods for the community
- a meeting place for producers, consumers and the community at large
- reduced food miles and carbon-related emissions